sobota, 23 sierpnia 2008

"The Nanny Diaries" by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus

I was expecting more less an easy chick lit. And to be honest – I was surprised with what I’ve got during reading it. But it was a positive surprise!

It’s a story of a student, living in New York and trying to earn some money during the last year of her studies – working as a nanny. In the park she have met a family making a family pictures. She deals with the little boy – Grayer and through that she is “noticed”, by his mother – Mrs. X. She asked her to work for them – just a few times per week, flexible schedule etc. Everything looks perfect, but… With time she is rather getting into being a slave of the family, manage with dozens of issues which are not in the tasks of being Nanny of Grayer. But she starts to love the little guy, so she kept her work there. The family X is a reach family, with working father and “socially involved” mother. They totally don’t care about their son (besides of trying to put him in the best private school). The father just work and have love affair. Mother is trying to be “perfect” and also to keep her husband to stay with them. And in all these happenings they’re forgetting about their own 4 years old son. Who starts to see Nanny as the most important person in his life. What will happened at the end? Will take “wake up” in their life? Will be there any change for better?

I took this book as a “light” reading before falling asleep, but need to admit it got my attention and I was even getting angry on the family X :) Now, I’ll try to look for another book of these 2 authors to check if I’ll also like it or not.

1 komentarz:

Sharon pisze...

I've been wondering about this book. I almost got it two different times. Now I'll have to go ahead and get it! Thanks.