środa, 20 sierpnia 2008

"The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini

I was thinking about reading this book for a long time. But the problem was to get it. There is no in the library in my village, in the bookstores it’s quite expensive, on the Polish version of BookMooch there is no copies at all. At least I found a lovely person who agreed to mooch it to me from the United Kingdom via BookMooch.

Already the first sentence and the whole first paragraph conquered my mind and heart - „I became what I am today at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcast day in the winter of 1975.”. I felt like sitting on my grandpa knees, during the freezing winter evening, nice warm fire in the fireplace and He is telling me the story of his life. And because of that the author got my interest already with the first paragraph :)


This book is about feelings, about what is good and beautiful in us, but also about what is scary and monstrous. We discover a history of a family, but also the history of a country. Country which suffered a lot during last few dozen of years. And will suffer still in the future, as it’s impossible to see a soon end of the conflict in Afghanistan. This book shows us the beauty of this country, tells us about people living in it, about their daily life, habits, celebrations, how they enjoy themselves, how they pray, celebrate, love, how their families function, how the social relations looks like.


But mainly tell us a story of a boy. Boy and his friend. Boy and his father. Boy and his wife. Boy and… I think that during reading this book I never read more than 2 chapters at time. There is too much of feelings in it, it gave too big emotional and psychological load, too many questions raised in my head. But that’s better, it’s not an ordinary chick lit, which you may “swallow” in one or two hours. That’s this kind of book about which you thinks a lot, even when you’re not reading it at the moment. Still everything is “melting” in my head, that’s why it’s still difficult to write the review of it.


Maybe – as some people are telling – Khaled Hosseini is just a great “craftsman”. Maybe this book is just an example of a good technique. Maybe, it’s not me to judge it, I’m not an expert. But this book is a wonderful gift for me, for which I’m very grateful for him. And that’s why my copy of “The Kite Runner” will stay on my shelf. No chances for mooching it. And I already mooched „A Thousand Splendid Suns” – to give myself another such a great gift :)

2 komentarze:

Anonimowy pisze...

I thought this was a great book. I read it in two sittings. I just could not put it down. With everything that happens in the book, it is very overwhelming, and at times, very difficult to read. I highly recommend it to everyone.

Sharon pisze...

I read this book last year so it is not in my list this year. It is a memorable book. It was hard at times to get over the feelings it invoked in me, I reread a lot of sentences and paragraphs. If you liked this one I think you would also like A Thousand Splendid Suns by the same author.